Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Written by: Martin Scorsese, Jay Cocks
Produced by: Vittorio Cecchi Gori, Barbara De Fina, Randall Emmett, David Lee, Gastón Pavlovich, Martin Scorsese, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Irwin Winkler
Cast Members: Adam Driver, Liam Neeson, Tadanobu Asano
Released date: January 13, 2017
Genre: Drama, History
Duration: 161 minutes
In the 17th century, two Portuguese Jesuit priests travel to Japan in an attempt to locate their mentor, who is rumored to have committed apostasy, and to propagate Catholicism.
– Sometimes silence is the deadliest sound.
– Andrew Garfield took a year off, cultivating a lot of head and facial hair growth, before tackling this project, and then went straight into Hacksaw Ridge (2016).
– Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver spent a week at St. Beuno’s a Jesuit retreat in St. Asaph, near Prestatyn, Wales. They didn’t speak for a week, per the retreat rules, so they could get a feel for the spirituality needed for the roles.
– For his role as a Jesuit priest, Andrew Garfield was mentored by Father James Martin, esteemed author and editor-at-large of “The National Catholic Review – America”.
– I pray but I am lost. Am I just praying to silence?
– I worry, they value these poor signs of faith more than faith itself. But how can we deny them?
– I feel so tempted. I feel so tempted to despair. I’m afraid. The weight of your silence is terrible. I pray, but I’m lost. Or am I just praying to nothing? Nothing. Because you are not there.
– Surely God heard their prayers as they died. But did He hear their screams?
– The blood of martyrs is the seed of the church.
– I thought that martyrdom would be my salvation. Please, please, God, do not let it be my shame. The Lord is my refuge, and my deliverer. My God is my helper, and in Him will I put my trust. Of the Blood, all price exceeding, shed by our immortal King, destined for the world’s redemption.