Character: Desmond Doss
Directed by: Mel Gibson
Written by: Robert Schenkkan, Andrew Knight
Produced by: Terry Benedict, Paul Currie, Bruce Davey, William D. Johnson, Bill Mechanic, Brian Oliver, David Permut
Cast Members: Richard Pyros, Jacob Warner, Hugo Weaving, Milo Gibson
Released date: November 4, 2016
Genre: Biography, Drama
Duration: 139 minutes
World War II American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot.
– Based on the incredible true story.
– When the order came to retreat, one man stayed.
– One of the greatest heroes in American history never fired a bullet.
– Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the Earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall. But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not be faint.
– I don’t know how I’m going to live with myself if I don’t stay true to what I believe.
– With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it don’t seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little bit of it back together.
– Because when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, I took it personal. Everyone I knew was on fire to join up, including me. There were two men in my hometown declared 4-F unfit, they killed themselves cause they couldn’t serve. Why, I had a job in a defense plant and I could’ve taken a deferment, but that ain’t right. It isn’t right that other men should fight and die, that I would just be sitting at home safe. I need to serve. I got the energy and the passion to serve as a medic, right in the middle with the other guys. No less danger, just… while everybody else is taking life, I’m going to be saving it. With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it doesn’t seem like such a bad thing to me to wanna put a little bit of it back together.
– Well, I never claimed to be sane.